Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

How I Draw Step by Step

In this post I'm going to show you the steps I go through whenever I draw a picture. Today I'm going to draw one of Viria's drawings of Percy Jackson. She does amazing art, go check her out!
Here is the drawing I'm going to attempt to draw.




So first off I always start with the eyes and just the bridge of the nose. A helpful tip, the eyes always line up with each other.


Next I add the iris of the eyes, the eyebrows and the rest of the nose. I typically don't add the pupils till I'm nearly done because then you can see where it makes more sense for him to look. Note: in this drawing he has a sad expression so you want to have the edge of the eyebrows closest to the nose tilted upward slightly. 


Now I'm going to add the side of his face outline. 

Now here I add the hair line, mouth, and ears. Notice that tiny dashes of hair cover the ear slightly. As you can see the jaw looks slightly strange now, I changed it a little bit as I was drawing and developing the picture later on, but if you like it you don't have to change it. 


Before I add the top of the hair I am going to start on the arm and neck. Some tips: the sleeve of his shirt starts at his cheek bone and goes up from there. The neck of his shirt covers the right side of his neck so you don't have to draw that. And lastly the neck starts right next to the jaw line on the left side. You can use the picture at the top for reference if you wish.


Now I'm going to draw the top of his hair, if your having trouble think of his hair as waves. He is the son of Poseidon after all.
Here I zoomed in on the eyes so you can see the shading I did on the iris and pupils. This time I did not add a shine in his eyes because I didn't want this post to be more complicated than it probably already is.

I felt like the hair needed a few more lines at the top so I added them in if your wondering what I changed. I also shaded in his hair. Just a tip, try to shade from an origin. I used the part of his hair where it changes from waving one way to the other, if that makes any sense at all.


And finally I shade in his CHB tee-shirt. If you want to you can add more lights and darks, but I decided to leave it as it is for now.


Hope this helped and remember, if you have a character you would like me to draw please leave a comment on one of my posts and I'll do my best to draw it! Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment